We look forward to welcoming you to Speech Day on Saturday 7 July 2018.
We hope you will join us for a day to celebrate the end of another academic year and to wish our 2018 leavers all the best as they take their next steps into the world beyond Bryanston.
Speech Day 2018 schedule (timings tbc)
Friday 6 July
2.00pm House Athletics
Afternoon tea will be served from the gazebo at 3.45pm
7.30pm Machinal by Sophie Treadwell, Coade Hall
‘Your skin oughtn’t to curl – ought it – when he just comes near you – ought it? That's wrong, ain’t it? You don't get over that, do you – ever, do you or do you?’ Inspired by the infamous 1927 murder trial of Ruth Snyder, Machinal is Sophie Treadwell’s expressionist masterpiece which addresses the danger that can come from a life un-lived. For one young woman in the industrial, male-dominated golden age of the 1920s, life is stifling and nothing but oppressive. Restless and unfulfilled in a passionless marriage and an unwanted motherhood, she finds her only peace and escape in the form of an illicit love affair. But when her routine and suffocating existence resumes, she revolts…
Admission is free, but please reserve your seats through the Coade Hall box office on email@example.com or 01258 484623.
Saturday 7 July
From 9:30am Tennis matches on the Grass Courts
10.00am Art, Design and Technology, and ICT exhibitions open
10.30am Service of Thanksgiving in St Martin's Church (Speech Day Choir)
11.00am Coffee served in the marquee on the Terrace
11.30am-12.15pm C Street, Contemporary and Elite Street dance performances in the Quad
11.50am String Chamber Orchestra Concert in the Elder Concert Hall
From midday Drinks for parents in boarding houses.
Timings and venue for drinks in each house will be emailed to parents
12.15-1.40pm Lunch served in the Dining Hall
Eating outdoors or in Dorchester or Grosvenor
12.30pm Concert Band on the Terrace (in Cowley if wet)
2.45pm Speeches and prize-giving in the Greek Theatre (all pupils attending)
3.45pm Tea served in the marquee immediately after speeches
Pupils may leave with their parents following the speeches at approximately 3.45pm
4.30pm Term ends
- Parents are kindly asked not to park on the verges and to follow directions given by the marshals posted around the school grounds.
- Dress code for pupils: Boys should wear a jacket, tie and smart trousers or a suit. Girls should wear a dress, skirt or trousers and a top.
- Pupils may leave with their parents following the speeches at approximately 3.45pm.
- Toilets are in the corridor to the left of the entrance to the Dining Hall and at the far end of the basement corridor past the A2 Soc. There are also toilet facilities in the foyer of Coade Hall and on the Beechwood Lawn.
- Bryanston is a no smoking site.
- First Aid: if you or any member of your party need First Aid or have an accident please see a member of the Bryanston staff.
- In case of fire: We operate a two-bell fire alarm system in the Main Building. On hearing the second alarm, parents and guests should assemble in front of Coade Hall. Pupils will know where to go, depending on which house they are in.
All other buildings on site operate a one-bell system and are evacuated on hearing the first alarm.
Please follow the safety announcements that will be made.
- Please be careful around the ponds and the river.
- Recycling: please place all rubbish in the appropriate bins in order that we can recycle as much as possible. Should you have any broken glass, please let a member of our Housekeeping Team know.
- Wet weather: in the event of rain, please listen out for announcements regarding the location of speeches. Priority will be given to prize winners, A2s and their parents.
- Please do not leave alcohol unattended.