At Bryanston our elite athletes participate in the Performance Sports Programme and PSP-Prep is an extension of this programme aimed specifically at aspiring sportspeople in years 5 to 8.
The programme involves an annual visit to Bryanston to use the new performance gym and participate in a number of physiological tests under the watchful eye of our Head of Performance Sports, Alex Chapman. Alex has 13 years of experience working in high performance sport, including as Head of Physical Preparation for the English Institute of Sport working specifically with Great Britain Wheelchair Basketball and as Head of Strength and Conditioning for Team Bath at Bath University.
The bespoke data and results arising from these tests will help inform the coaching and preparation of participants throughout their time at prep school, particularly if they participate in the programme over a number of years.
What assessments are included in PSP-Prep?
Force platform testing
Tests may include:
- Hop and jump tests using our dual force platform system
- Drop jumps
- Vertical jumps
- Change of direction technique
- Acceleration (force production) technique
- Deceleration (force absorption) technique
Acceleration and velocity on the 40m sprint track
Repeated sprint ability/aerobic capacity
Benefits of participating in PSP-Prep
Any pupil considering applying for a sports scholarship at senior school will benefit from the PSP-Prep, as will any keen sportsperson:
- The data produced from PSP-Prep will help pupils and their coaches identify both strengths and weaknesses in relation to the pupil’s physiology and sports performance.
- Over time (if a pupil participates over a number of years) a picture of a pupil’s physiological development will emerge highlighting where improvements have been made
- Pupils will receive their results before they leave on the day of their PSP-Prep session. You can download an example report here.
- All participants receive a selection of sports goodies to take home.
Who can participate?
Currently, the number of places available on PSP-Prep is limited and individual prep schools will be asked to select their top sportspeople in years 5 to 8 to participate.
Pupils will gain the most benefit by participating over a number of years; however, we also understand that some schools may wish to send different groups each year to enable more pupils to benefit from the programme.
For more information, please contact Director of Sport, Alex Fermor-Dunman, on email@example.com.