PARENTS: Please note that you should allow cookies in order to log into the Parent Area. Further information
Bryanston library in detail
The library in Ashmore and the subject rooms are open throughout term-time, including evenings and weekends. The Library is available through a booking system to teaching staff for classes during the school day when the use of the facilities and access to the librarian is required.
The librarian can usually be found in Ashmore between 9am and 12.45pm, and 1.45pm and 5.30pm Monday to Friday. If the librarian is working in a departmental subject room or attending a meeting, then an email can be sent to Mrs Minter.
The Access-It library online management system is used for searching the catalogue and borrowing materials. Pupils can access the the online catalogue through the link here: https://uk.accessit.online/bry00/#!dashboard. Staff and pupils may borrow books for two weeks and items may be renewed using the Web OPAC or Access-It App.
The subject rooms can be found in the main school building and are:
- Abbotsbury: History and Politics
- Ashmore: School Library for young adult and general fiction, reference and non-fiction
- Cowley: English Literary Criticism, Plays and Theatre Studies
- Dorchester: Mathematics and Geography
- Grosvenor: History
- Lulworth: Classics
- Poole: Geography
- Worbarrow: History of Art
There are also departmental collections in the:
- Modern Languages building
- Tom Wheare Music School
- Sanger Centre for Science and Mathematics (a separate collection in each of the subject areas, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics)
Electronic resources include:
- JSTOR Archive for journal articles
- Oxford Art Online, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford English Dictionary
- Digimap for digital Ordnance Survey maps
- Literary Reference Centre, History Reference Centre, Science Reference Centre and The Day – current affairs for schools
- Digital Theatre Plus for high-quality films of theatre productions
- MASSOLIT English Literature video lectures
- Drama Online for full text plays and biographies of playwrights
The Careers Office contains a collection of careers information including university and course prospectuses.
Media resources such as film, TV recordings and podcasts are accessible on BryPlayer via the school intranet.
The librarian works closely with the different academic departments to deliver customised information literacy and research skills lessons, whether for a C (year 10) physics group or an IB Diploma Extended Essay group.
Pupils take part in library induction and refresher sessions at the beginning of each school year. The D year group (year 9) have the opportunity to read a range of award-winning fiction during an English lesson in Ashmore each week. Book awards are highlighted, such as the CILIP Carnegie Medal, YA Book Prize and the Man Booker Prize. We also celebrate World Book Day at a whole school assembly and invite authors to speak about the writing journey.