In the sixth form pupils have the chance to study A level Religious Studies or IB Philosophy.
The Religious Studies A level (OCR) is a mixture of two core disciplines: Theology and Philosophy. It is rigorous, but accessible course which will develop your reasoning, reading and writing abilities. If you enjoy arguing, an interacting with abstract ideas, then this is the subject for you.
Component 1: Philosophy of Religion, two hour exam (33%)
- Ancient Philosophy
- The philosophy of mind
- Arguments for and against the existence of God
Component 2: Religion and Ethics, two hour exam (23%)
- Normative Ethical Theories, from Aristotle to Mill
- Application of ethical theories to practical issues
Component 3: Developments in Religious thought, two hour exam (23%)
- Religious beliefs, practices and teachings
- Sources of religious authority
- Historical development of religious ideas